Our youth are the pride of the West Side. When we invest in them we ensure a bright future for our entire community. Making Connections Partnership is proud of the work being done by all of our partners to create successful kids.
Community-based organizations, agencies and school personnel regularly convene for the purpose of establishing the Children are Healthy and Prepared to Succeed in School (CHAPSS) initiative. Today, CHAPSS is a branded effort within San Antonio’s West side and is a recipient of grants, emerging partnerships, and building the foundation to make an impact in the lives of children and their families with the Edgewood Independent School District (EISD) and the broader West side.
One key strategy implements early reading interventions for children 3 to 5 years of age. Another seeks to improve the quality of informal childcare services. A third strategy seeks to align families and schools through the Family and Schools Together (FAST) program.
Family Services Association and Edgewood Independent School District are the lead organizations in this effort.
CHAPSS strategies for 2012 include:
- Increase the number of children participating in Head Start programming.
- Increase the number of informal providers who utilize a learning curriculum that promotes reading development for children ages 0 to 3.
- Increase the number of classrooms in Kindergarten feeder sites that co-implement Families and Schools Together (FAST) and theTexas School Ready program
- Implementing an integrated array of health services that contribute to healthier children.
- A healthy children's strategy for Loma Park elementary school is to screen and enroll 100% of children for medical insurance, medical home and developmental disabilities.
- Provides one-on-one and small group mentoring for children in grades first, second and third who have been identified as striving readers.
- Provides after-school programming with enhanced literacy components
- Implement Parents and Children Together (PACT), with technical assistance
For more information please contact :